Check the SSC Facebook page for the most up-to-date news and event info! Check the SSC Facebook page                                                                    Contact Us: secretary@strangfordsailingclub.com

Strangford Sailing Club house gutted by fire

A very sad day for the club!

Strangford Sailing Club house was gutted by fire last night. Two fire appliances attended the call at 9.19pm and the incident was dealt with at 11.29pm. The fire crews were on the scene quickly but the fire has completely gutted the building. The Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service said the blaze has been determined as “accidental”.

Club Hon. Secretary – Jane McMeekin said “the club’s sailing equipment is kept separately from the building and no boats were damaged. However, a kitchen, changing rooms and furniture were lost.”

“From a bricks and mortar perspective we haven’t lost anything that can’t be replaced, but what we have lost is all the memorabilia, the pictures… trophies, things like that have all been lost and they are irreparable,” Jane said.

“Our building is on the land of the National Trust so we would have to work in tandem with them saying how the building would be rebuilt, but we would envisage that it would be rebuilt and the club would get up and running as fast as it can.”

 

 

 



One Comment For This Post
  • Jon Fleming
    September 27, 2017 at 4:31 pm

    Very sorry to hear about this. The bar buoy race and BBQ are the highlight of everyone’s year.



Leave A Reply




Wind Guru

© 2017 Strangford Sailing Club

Designed @STUDIO55